It is important to note that a person wishing to apply to become a Local Preacher in the Methodist Church of Southern Africa must be a member of the church in good standing for at least two years.
We strongly urge circuits to appoint Supervisors of Studies to liaise with EMMU and also to initiate learning events for the preachers in the circuits.
EMMU relies on the integrity of the individual and the circuit for preachers to register according to their academic qualifications
THE PROBATION PERIOD IS AT LEAST TWO YEARS BUT NOT, EXCEPT IN VERY SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES, MORE THAN THREE (3) YEARS. REFER METHODIST BOOK OF ORDER P.148, PARA 12.6.3.
LOCAL PREACHERS ON TRIAL WITH AN EDUCATIONAL STANDARD BELOW GRADE 12 OR MATRIC
The course material for those who are below Grade 6 or Standard 4 to be prioritised for 2018.
- The Certificate Of Competence in Ministry (CCM)
- The Certificate Of Competence in Ministry (CCM) caters for people with Grade 6 – 11 (old Standard 4 – 9)
- The CCM Programme will take 2 years with students registering for 4 courses per year, two courses per semester.
- Only two assessments of 50% per course will apply for the CCM level.
1st Year courses
- Introduction to the Bible
- Introduction to Homiletics
- Introduction to History of the Methodist Church in Southern Africa Introduction to Community Development
2nd Year courses
- Introduction to Theology Synoptic Gospels
- Biblical Interpretation Wesleyan Studies/Spirituality
- Application Forms can be obtained from SMMS or be downloaded from the EMMU website www.methodisttraining.co.za
- No individual applications will be accepted by SMMS
- Circuit Superintendents are to register their Local Preachers with SMMS in block
- SMMS will then send all course material to District Local Preacher Department Secretaries, who will in turn distribute the material to Circuit Superintendents.
NB: No course readers will be available to students unless full payment for the course is made.
LOCAL PREACHERS ON TRIAL WITH AN EDUCATIONAL STANDARD OF GRADE 12 OR ABOVE
Higher Certificate with TEEC
45000 (Introduction to Theological Study Skills 45111 (Introduction to the Old Testament) 45121 (Introduction to the New Testament) 45241 (Introduction to Theology)
45251 (Introduction to Spirituality)
45261 (Introduction to Christian Ethics) 45378 (Christian Proclamation: Preaching) Wesley Studies through EMMU
A HIGHER CERTIFICATE CAN BE OBTAINED BY DISTANCE EDUCATION FROM THE SETH MOKITIMI METHODIST SEMINARY.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS QUALIFICATION MUST BE COMPLETED IN ITS ENTIRETY AND NOT JUST SELECTIVE COURSES.
Diploma Courses with TEEC
85370 (Practical Theology) 86378 (Proclaiming our Faith)
85240 (Systematic Theology 1) 85250 (Spirituality 1)
85100 (Getting to know the Bible) Wesley Studies through EMMU
Degree Courses with TEEC
7002 (Engaging with people pastorally & ethically) 7372 (Proclaiming our faith)
7003 (Growing spiritually, thinking theologically) 7004 (Interpreting texts: Biblical & other sources) Wesley Studies through EMMU
Wesley Studies registration with EMMU FROM NOVEMBER with a CLOSING DATE of 28 February the following year. Registration forms obtainable from EMMU or can be downloaded from our website www.methodisttraining.co.za
LOCAL PREACHERS CERTIFICATES
To be received on Full Plan (Accredited)
- The following documents need to be submitted to EMMU by the Circuit Superintendent:
- Assessment of preacher to be received onto Full Plan (obtainable from EMMU or download from www.methodisttraining.co.za)
- Assessment of Trial Service (obtainable from EMMU or download from www.methodisttraining.co.za)
- Copy of ID document
- Copies of results for ALL Local Preachers' studies
There is no cost involved for the first issue of a certificate. Certificates are posted to the Circuit Superintendent. EMMU do not issue certificates on the request of individual preachers.
Long Service Certificate
EMMU only issue certificates of Long Service for 25 years and 40 years. The following information must be submitted to EMMU by the Circuit Superintendent for these certificates to be issued:
- Copy of ID document
- Copy of LP Certificate or a copy of the inscription in the Bible given to a preacher when accepted onto Full Plan